WOB is for Wolfsburg

From January to August 2001, I lived in Wolfsburg, Germany. I had an unexpected great time, perhaps even the time of my life. And this is the story... (it starts at the bottom of the page)

Monday, January 17, 2005

"You'll need a 7-month internship in Germany to graduate"

After high school, I studied foreign languages at university. English and German. Translation, business relations. It was a 4 year cursus which included 2 stays abroad. First trimester in Lyon and the rest of the year in England (as a student in Birmingham as far as I was concerned) then 2.5 years in Lyon and the final semester in Germany. An internship. No studies but working in a company instead.

I started sending applications in June 2000. I wrote down the names of all the German companies I could think of, looked for their adress on the web and sent them my resume. I sent 50 of them. They all replied during the summer. 48 replies were negative. It was kinda a hard time. Anytime an answer arrived in the mail, I was eagerly opening it only to find the "thanks for your interest in our company but unfortunately..." letter. In the middle of all this, a media company from Dusseldorf sent me a contract. But the pay was shit and it wasn't specified what I'd be doing. I turned it down. I was losing hope when the unexpected happened.

I got a letter from Volkswagen, the n°1 car manufacturer in Europe. My application had been forwarded to their translation department and I would hear from them shortly. A week later, the man in charge of the French translation sent me a text to translate. A test. And I passed it. He was satisfied with my work and told me he'd give a positive answer to the internship department. Late August I received a contract. I'd start working on the 7th of January and end on the 30th of July. 1000 Marks a month (roughly $500). So the first part of the process was done. I had an internship in a worlwide known company. In the translation department. I had no idea where I was going but I was damn relieved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home